While washing your hands often, helps immensely in keeping germs off, it’s easy to pick them up again when we touch various things in our house, which don’t undergo the same cleaning routine as our hands do.
And viruses can survive on some surfaces for up to 16 hours, making it important to regularly disinfect the frequently touched surfaces in our homes such as doorknobs, light switches, doorbells, refrigerator handles, and countertops.
Household bleach is a well-known and regularly used disinfectant that is very effective in killing dangerous germs, including viruses. Here’s how you can make a disinfectant spray for your home, from chlorine bleach.
- Rubber gloves
- A plastic spray bottle
- A measuring cup
- Household bleach (found at any supermarket under Clorox and other names)
How to Make The Spray
Before you begin making the spray, ensure you find a well-ventilated space to work in as bleach can emit powerful fumes. Pin your hair back and wear the gloves.
Take 1/4th cup of bleach in a mixing bowl or mug. Pour 2 and 1/4th cups of water into it. Pour the solution into a spray bottle, place the lid and give it a gentle shake. Your disinfectant spray is ready for use.
Remember that you’ll need to make a fresh batch every day, as chlorine bleach solution loses its disinfecting power when exposed to light and heat.
How To Use Your Disinfectant Spray?
Daily disinfection of frequently touched surfaces is recommended to keep them germ-free. These include sinks, faucets, light switches, doorknobs, phones, tables, countertops etc. Just spray the bleach solution onto these surfaces and leave them to air-dry, so that the chemical remains in contact with the surfaces long enough to kill viruses and other pathogens. You can wet a microfiber cloth with the spray and use it on electronic gadgets, instead of spraying the solution directly onto them. And for surfaces that are visibly dirty, you’ll need to clean them to remove grime before you disinfect them with the spray.
A Word Of Caution
- Do not try to disinfect your hands with a bleach solution. It is not a substitute for soap or hand sanitizers.
- Do not mix bleach solution with any other soaps or chemicals.
- Keep the solution out of the reach of children and pets.
Let’s stay safe everyone!