With the constant space scarcity and the always-on-the-rise rents, living spaces have shrunk considerably! Instead of resigning to feeling trapped in a soul-less space, how about we use the optics of our space to our advantage and make our small home appear way larger than it actually is?
Here are 8 tried and tested ways to do it with!
1. Keep things smooth and minimalist with an all-white ensemble. White doesn’t just brighten a space, it is easy on the eyes and gives a feeling of expanse and spaciousness. Use it in plenty and see your home getting bigger!
2. Think of 3D wallpapers to create an illusion of space. Doesn’t this spectacular 3D wallpaper depicting archways turn this ordinary space into something truly extraordinary?
3. Choose your furniture wisely. A lack of space doesn’t necessarily have to mean having to go without what’s necessary for daily living. Notice how this small space packs in, not just a spacious living area, but a separate dining space behind the couch!
4. Horizontal stripes in a room will make your home appear bigger. Try it.
5. Mirrors are an excellent way to create the illusion of space in a small room. Make good use of them. Notice how the wall-to-wall mirror in this bedroom almost doubles the visible space?
6. Use furniture and colors to divide spaces in your home! Notice how colors separate the tiny kitchen here, from the dining area, without any physical barrier actually separating them.
7. Filling walls at the eye-level with knick-knacks and curios on shelves can make a room appear smaller. Install shelves close to the ceiling, and not at eye level, to create a feeling of space and expansiveness.
8. Install shelves that run along the wall to squeeze out extra storage off your walls, and free up the floor.