9 Indoor Plants Toxic To Pets And Children

Courtesy: lovethegarden

House plants don’t just help spruce up our living spaces, but also purify the air around us. And if that wasn’t enough, tending for these plants can be quite therapeutic. With so many benefits, it’s hardly a surprise that these exotic house plants happen to be a common sight in many homes.
However, some of these plants can be dangerous if you have pets or children at home. Here are a few plants that aren’t a great idea to have in the house, if you have curious pets or children around.

1. Peace Lilies

Courtesy: bunches.co.uk

These flowering houseplants with their beautiful white flowers are popular in many house-holds. But they are toxic to humans, dogs and cats if consumed, which is why they should be used only in homes without pets and young kids. Touching them however, poses no such risk to humans or pets.

2. Philodendron

Courtesy: pinterest

Philodendron is quite easy to grow and looks quite lovely in any room. But it contains a chemical known as calcium oxalate, which is toxic to humans and animals.
It’s important to keep the vining philodendron hung high and away from the reach of pets or young children and keep them well trimmed. The non-vining variety should also be kept on high windowsills or shelves.
Pets have a more severe reaction to philodendron than humans.

3. Devil’s Ivy

Courtesy: pinterest

This is yet another common plant popular in many homes owing to its easy care and attractive looks. Although safe to touch, ingesting the leaves or stem of this plant can cause severe swelling and vomiting in both humans and animals, making it a plant to keep away from if you are a family with pets or young children.

4. Arrowhead Plant

Courtesy: pinterest

Being easy to care for, this plant makes a frequent appearance in dish gardens in homes and also happens to be a popular choice as a gift.
If you have pets at home or young children and have this plant at home well out of their reach, it’s important that you check its surrounding areas for fallen leaves as an arrowhead plant sheds constantly. It causes skin irritation, upset stomach and vomiting in both humans and animals.

5. Sago Palm

Courtesy: mycityplants

These are excellent air purifiers and their unique spiky structure makes them a great addition to the interiors of a home. However, these beautiful plants are highly toxic and ingesting any part of the plant can cause vomiting, loose stools and even acute liver failure, which is why, they need to be avoided at all costs in a house-hold with pets and young children.

6. Lily

Courtesy: homedepot

These beautiful flowers can be as toxic as they are stunning but only a few varieties are toxic. So, if you aren’t sure about which type you have, it’s better to err on the side of caution and keep them well away from children and pets, especially cats. In humans the symptoms of toxicity are vomiting, headache, vision changes and skin irritation. But in cats they are extremely severe and can cause liver and kidney failure or even death.

7. Caladium

Courtesy: tropicsathome

Its brightly colored leaves make it a very popular indoor plant across many house-holds. But its velvety leaves can be quite tempting to curious kids or pets who may want to touch or even ingest them. Ingesting of its leaves can cause swelling, eye pain and vomiting, which makes it an inappropriate choice if you have pets or little kids.

8. Oleander

Courtesy: homedepot

This delicate looking plant is one of the most toxic plants known and ingesting even a single leaf can cause death in humans. Needless to say, this is a plant that’s an absolute no-no if you have kids or pets at home.

9. Poinsettia

Courtesy: ikea

This common holiday plant can be quite dangerous for pets or children if ingested and needs to be kept well away from them. Exposure to its toxins can cause nausea, vomiting and red and irritated skin.